Wednesday, October 01, 2008

driving miss stella

I used to do a lot more driving than I do now. Stella was at University in Scotland for four years and I drove her up and back at the beginning and end of almost every term and a few random other times in between. St Andrews is over 450 miles from our home - and about 500 with Stella in the car since we always had to do a detour to visit Rich at Sheffield!
So it's just as well that I love driving!! The prospect of the open road stretching before me, listening to the radio or cd and stopping as and when I want is a joy that never palls. I love travelling alone but having Stella's company was fun too. We would always stop at Tebay Services at Appleby in Westmoreland - our favourite services! - and somewhere else as well. We managed to visit Durham one freezing January day and struggled up the hill through the snow to see the cathedral - would have been worth it if it had been twice as far, twice as steep and twice as much snow!. One April we turned off the motorway to drive over the winding hills and through the sleepy little towns of Northumberland to see Hadrian's Wall and another time we went right off the beaten track to see a deer farm in the Border country. Trips back down south were always quicker and more direct as we were both keen to get home but they had a different type of charm. Stella would spend almost the whole journey telling her news - which was always hilarious - the time went very quickly!
It was great while it lasted but, of course, not so easy to organise these days. But last evening Stella nipped round and it was just like old times. Stella has a fabulous dry sense of humour which I really enjoy. I put the coffee machine on and we drank coffee and talked until almost mid-night. It was a lovely evening and it has set me up for the Autumn!
Hoorah for daughters!

No comments: