Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The journey home


Nice view of the Motorway? I think so . . . but just as well as I spent over an hour looking at it!
Started off at 9.00 a.m. after a, fortunately substantial, breakfast and hadn't gone more than a mile when my ABS light came on. Stopped to check the manual which said that it was ok to drive as the brakes would still work ~ which they did.
On my way down the A9 I stopped off at the House of Bruar ~ and spent far too long and far too much there! Really it's a day's shopping experience ~ E&J called in later in the day and reported a helicopter taking off with a group of shoppers ~ now that's style!!
Anyway I carried on but by the time I reached the outskirts of Glasgow I did wonder if the slight swaying in the steering had more to do with the car than the wind! So I stopped at Happenden Services and looked at the back ~ but it seemed ok. By the time I set off from there it was gone 4.30 p.m. and I was all set for a long drive home listening to music and quietly mulling over my hols. Pah!
Just onto the Motorway a dreadful rattling started and the car began to swing about alarmingly. Stopped at one of the phone boxes and called the AA.
It took over an hour for the first chappie to come, decide my stub axle had gone and that I should be relayed home. Still, it was good weather while I waited, I had a book and it wasn't raining! This is the view northwards.
In all it took 5 vehicles and just over 10 hours to get home from there. The drivers were jolly helpful and mostly a good laugh ~ but it was a l-o-n-g night and I was glad to have my little car off-loaded at home at 4.30 the following morning. I was dead-beat and longing for a bath!!
And as post-script: the car was mended the next day and now appears to be as right as rain.
Back soon with news of O&G's 60th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

3 comments:

Susan Harwood said...

You make it sound as if you had a sort of peaceful retreat in the middle of the journey.

Looking through your previous posts - that certainly is holidaying and celebrating in style! It looks as if you chose a wonderful place. It must have taken a lot of organisation.

I haven't been on a 'big event' holiday like that for years. Clearly, most people manage to travel around with their children. There they were in your big gathering. But, among parents, I am clearly an exception. I can't manage it. I find it a major trial going to the shops and back with mine, let alone on a long journey.

Best wishes

Susan

P.S. In your games playing, have you come across one called 'The Settlers of Catan'?

rosy said...

Ha ha! Well it wasn't really all that much of a retreat! I like to travel alone so found it quite hard to keep up a conversation for that length of time ~ although the drivers were very nice.

Yes an awful lot of organising ~ not that I can claim any part in it! It was all due to my friend J, Ja's grandmother, who is an organiser par excellence! J has great big parties like other people have supper for four! All the rest of us have to do is turn up and lend the odd hand or two!

I'm sorry you find it hard to get about with the children. Though to be honest when mine were little I had more trouble taking them to the local shops than bundling them in the car and driving down to Suffolk to visit my parents. Once, when they were 6 and 4 and our car was out of action, I took them by train ~ simple! ~ my husband went with us to London, we got on the train and my parents met us at the other end. Then . . .
Stella broke her arm. For the journey back there was engineering work on the line necessitating three different trains AND a bus, it was a busy Sunday and I had to struggle on and off all these vehicles with the luggage and trying to hold onto two children one of whom had a broken arm! Not a lot of fun!! People were mostly very kind though!

I mainly play games with Stella and Rich and other friends and yes! we have played 'The Settlers of Catan'. I can't really remember much about it but Stella assures me we have played it!

Best Wishes

Rosy

Susan Harwood said...

It's the not having a car bit which is probably crucial. We don't! It's getting better now the children are older - and we didn't do too badly when we had only one push-chair. But, as soon as we had two push chairs - things began to get difficult, especially because that coincided with the railways getting rid of guards vans on most of our trains and deciding passengers hardly need any space for luggage. They took away most of the tables where children used to sit and draw in favour of rows of cramped two-seat places with little flaps on the seat in from for putting coffee on. We generally travel as a four-people family but I don't know how people are supposed to manage if there is one adult and two young children when there is no-where where they can all sit together.

And as for journeys with several changes and the occasional breakdown . . .

Though now the children are older, the changes are often welcome so people get a change of scene and a walk around.

But some people go camping right from when their children are babies. We could have done that locally - except . . . well, we're back to not knowing how other people manage!

Susan