Wednesday, June 23, 2010

books . . . .

It was lovely to hear from Kim in Oregon! and books! now there's a good subject for scrutiny!!
Kim asked me for the titles of a good book for the summer ~ which got me thinking . . . so here are a few ideas:
I loved Kate Atkinson's 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' ~ it made me laugh out loud
Isla Dewar's 'It could happen to you' was another gem
Barbara Erskine is good for her plots which go back and forth in time ~ great for summer as you can gallop through them in no time.
Joanne Harris' 'The Evil Seed' was scary and a real page turner
I love the E F Benson 'Lucia' series ~ nothing to do with Lpip of course! ~ and they also bring back memories of lovely family holidays when the girls were young in Winchelsea/Rye
I have Philippa Gregory's 'The Other Boleyn Girl' on my shelf which I keep meaning to read ~ bought a very cheap DVD of it in Sainsbury's ~ if the book is as good as the film it's a winner.
William Trevor's 'Felicia's Journey' was wonderful ~ although no-one else in Book Group raved quite as much as I did!
Anything by Margaret Forster or Tracy Chevalier . . .
And Khaled Hosseini and Kazuo Ishiguro . . .
Old faithfuls like Jane Austen and Anthony Trollope . . .
One can hardly beat 'The Book Thief' ~ everyone loves it this side of the Pond!
We read Maggie (I think) O'Farrell's 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' at Book Club ~ great praise from us all.
We read one per month at Book Club and I oftentimes forget them but Patricia Ferguson's 'Peripheral Vision' was good . . . and Peter Carey's 'Oscar and Lucinda'.
This month we are reading Nancy Huston's 'Fault Lines' ~ although I haven't started it yet ~ we all think it looks and sound pretty good!
Gracious!
I think I am making up for Lost Time.
Back again soon
Po xx

No comments: