. . . are under way
Well they have been under way for a while and apart from cooking and delivery of presents I am done!
Preps for cooking meant an overhaul of the freezer ~ long needed! I found:
- some salmon from several years back, had for dinner last evening (microwaved) and I'm still here
- spring rolls (!) also considerably out-of-date, had them for lunch (microwaved) and feel ok at this point
- other bits and pieces that were so old that I felt I couldn't serve it to anyone other than me. Not tried them yet ~ I'll let you know . . . I hope!
Then to the store cupboard which wasn't as bad but still found various jars of herbs dating back . . . oh aeons!
How long can you keep wine? I have some in the rack that I suspect has been there for a number of years. And half a bottle in the fridge less than a month old. And Port? How long once it is opened? I know nothing!
The trouble is that I dislike cooking ~ I detest it if the truth be known! ~ and only really do it for visitors. And, whilst I would eat out-of-date food myself, certainly don't want to give it to family and friends who in all probability will not have constitutions like myself and Eric brought up on Zebra Sausages every Sunday. (I will add the recipe for Zebra Sausages at the end of this post). So a good clear out was well overdue and I'm pleased I have at least started.
I am 'At Home' for Christmas which I am looking forward to. Frankie, Alex and the Pips are coming on Christmas Eve in the evening and staying until Boxing Day and Alex's dad is coming for just Christmas Day. So quite a lot of preps to do . . . and certainly fun to be had with my lovey visitors. I have charged my camera so maybe even take some photos . . .
And now for the Zebra Sausages Recipe:
Take one pound (usually 8) pork sausages and place in a frying pan of hot 'fat' (oil, butter, marge etc).
Fry sausages for one minute (or less if in a hurry)
Turn and fry on other side for another minute (if you can wait that long)
Dish up.
The resultant fare will be nicely browned on two sides and pretty pink on the other. Hence an appearance similar to a Zebra's coat.
This 'recipe' is as served by my mum every Sunday when, having gone to early mass and, in those days, having had to fast since the night before, we were all 'starvin' by the time we had walked home So the quicker she could get the breakfast on the table the better. I have to add that she was a very impatient lady anyway!
Back soon
Po xx
1 comment:
I know nothing about wine but if it doesn't smell or taste vinegary--in fact if it tastes fine--I think it is ok. Or you could use it for cooking if not drinking--I have concerns about the zebra sausage!
Post a Comment