Plumber came, 60% of jobs done and coming again on Monday to, hopefully complete.
CWL in evening. Ja had asked a speaker to talk about how to research one's family and fore-bears. The talk was illustrated by the speaker showing how, with input from Ja, she had traced several members of Ja's family on the website, 'Find My Past' and started to build a family tree. It was really fascinating and made me keen to get on with our tree. And the speaker was brilliant. And she was Stella! 😊
Yesterday
Met MaM and JoS at the Cha Cafe in Cassiobury Park. It's a lovely little cafe with a good choice of comestibles. We spent a pleasant couple of hours, had a good chat and a jolly decent pot of tea between us. I go there fairly often and will try to remember to take a photo next time.
Today
Afternoon: Talk at the Museum about alms houses in Watford. We have eight, built in 1580, that are very well known but there are also a number 'hidden' around the town ~ some which have now become private homes. Below are the oldest (1580) almshouses ~ know as the Bedford (and also, apparently, Essex) Almshouses.
There are still residents in situ today. And then, because it was the event starting 'Heritage Open Days' , we had tea, coffee and Special Cake!
Evening:
The Museum held a 'Viewing' of photographs and art work of Watford views past and present. It was interesting trying to decide from which spot exactly the views were taken.
I was pleased to have worked out where in Watford this is! Sutton Road with St John's Church just right of centre and the Orphanage in the background.
This is one of the courts off the High Street (we think!). I am always intrigued by old views of the High Street as I know my great-great-grandparents lived in the High Street. One of those figures could be one of my relations haha
I love this. It is called 'Unknown part of Watford'. So for history it's not much use but it's a lovely little painting!
More busy days ahead! Yay!
Back soon
Po xx

1 comment:
You sound so happy to be busy! I am kind of gobsmacked that something built in 1580 is still being lived in.
Post a Comment