Thursday, January 16, 2014

State of Wonder

Tuesday:  Eric came down and took G to see Care Home G which we felt deserved another look as G really hadn't seen it at its best on Sunday.  The day went well, they met the manager and some residents, filled in the assessment and G even had lunch.  The day seems to have been a success and there is the distinct possibility that he will go for a few weeks' stay with the option of staying on permanently.  

In the evening I went to C's for Women's Group ~ good evening.  It turns out that H's mother is in Care Home G and H was very complimentary about it.  H was a nurse and Health Visitor so I value her opinion.  Her mother sadly has dementia so her experience will be different from ours but hopefully G will be happy there.  

Wednesday:   Book club last evening at Mair's house.  We had been reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.  Not one of my favourites.  This book was very well written with some well executed descriptive and moving passages.  I found the first quarter, set in Minnesota, interesting but once the main character travelled out to the rain forests of Brazil I became rather bored and had to force myself to read it.  An interesting, but to me totally unbelievable, concept but sadly I felt unable to engage with or care about any of the characters and was so bored by it that I found I was reading the words with my mind on other matters.  I was in a minority of one, however!

Tomorrow:  long awaited curtain fitting day and I have taken a day's flexi leave.  Given all the problems I have had in the past with John Lewis I am not expecting it to go well!  I was somewhat surprised to arrive home yesterday to find a note through my door from the woman 3 doors away, with I had never spoken, to say that she had a parcel of mine.  I had not been expecting a parcel but it turned out it was the curtains.  I didn't get them out of the box but at least they are the right fabric and colour.  I phoned JL this morning to make sure that the fitter will come tomorrow and said that I had expected him to bring the curtains with him.   The JL woman said she was very surprised, that wasn't supposed to happen: they should have been delivered to the store but confirmed that someone would definitely come in the morning to hang them.  

The Glass-Half-Empty Woman says 
'something is bound to go wrong' 

Po x

No comments: