Tuesday, January 28, 2014

well you would never guess . . .

this morning I went downstairs and into the sitting room and . . . one of the new curtains looked very strange! It looked as though it had lost some of its hooks so that not all of the heading was attached to the curtain track ~ sorting of bulging off the wall!  And another curtain had a bit of metal sticking out of the end of the heading.  These curtains have only been up for 11 days!  Admittedly the curtain hanger did say there was 'something wrong' with the hooks and tracks (am assuming that was it) and John Lewis has agreed to put that right when they bring the correct width curtains for the dining room ~ but really! whatever next?  

It's not as though I actually closed the curtains last evening as I went with Stella to the Palace to see a live streaming of Giselle from the Royal Opera House.  I'm sure we were in a better position than those at the ROH as we could see the expressions of the dancers so much more clearly. And Natalia Osipova in the title role was superb ~ I found myself holding my breath through all her solos and duets! She was magnificent ~ and seemed to hang in the air at each jump . . . and her extensions!  She is also a tremendously talented actress and her poignant portrayal of her emotions on discovering Albrecht's deceit was heart breaking.  Carlos Acosta's powerful dancing in the part of Albrecht acted as the perfect foil for Giselle's naivity and there were equally talented performancs from those in the other leading roles.   Our only criticism was the Interval interviews ~ we could have done without them as they were really rather boring, in truth told us nothing new and I would rather have spent that time listening to Stella's views.  A wonderful night though!

No comments: