Tuesday, November 17, 2015
No Tuesday Chuckle
Not really a chuckle but the antiquated language made me smile:
I read this in an old diary a little while ago and thought I would post it on the anniversary (although in fact it was yesterday!) of the Boston Tea Party.
The actual blend of tea that was thrown overboard at the Boston Tea Party (a mixture of Ceylon and Darjeeling teas, from Sri Lanka and India) can still be bought from the original shippers, Davison Newman of London. The label says, 'This tea is from the same London blending House which in the Year of Our Lord 1773 had the Misfortune to suffer a Grievous Wrong in that certain Persons did place a quantity of its Finest Produce in Boston Harbour.'
I checked this on the website but sadly it is now unobtainable ~ I have asked to be notified when it is again available. (The diary was printed in 2006)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
When I lived in Boston (it was a while ago--) you could visit the tea party ship and every few hours they'd dump a chest (supposedly with tea) overboard. I'm not sure if they still do that--off to Google!
Post a Comment