Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Some odds and ends . . .


Amazing where the time goes!  

An expression that retired people use a lot and which really annoys me is:

I'm so busy I don't know how I ever had time for work

Well it's because you didn't have time to do the nice things you are doing now! 

Of course we all know this but Lord! it's such a cliche ~ and I hate cliches!

OK Rant over ~ what have I been doing since January? 
Lots but too much to update all of it but this and last week . . .

I pulled a muscle in my back which was very painful and meant I couldn't do some of things I had planned but had extra visits from Stella and some of the Pies and Frankie and some of the Pips (the others were at school).  After persevering with the meds, however, I am much better and able to get on with stuff.

Thursday:
Whole School Retreat Day at the Nilands Centre, Bushey which was lovely: relaxing and fun and so nice to get to meet all the new staff.
Then in the evening to the Colosseum for the Chairman's Quiz.  My team were: The Two Annes, Keith, Sandra and John and Stella and Rpie and me.  Rpie was not much help with the answers :) but a delightful team member, very well behaved (better than some!) and very sweet.  We came joint third.  

Friday:
Had Kpip for the afternoon and then met Frankie and Lpip at Cinnamon Square in Ricky for Hot Choc and Cake.
In the evening to Holy Rood Church to see and listen to Faure's Requiem performed by members of the Church (all amateurs) and a few visiting singers.  The conductor was the lovely chap who played the organ and who had been so helpful with music generally for G's funeral last year.  He really managed to bring out the best from all the singers and the performance was truly beautiful.

Saturday:
More music in the form of a 'gig' for the purpose of raising money for T (a relative) to go on the school pilgrimage to Lourdes. T played guitar and sang for two hours at the Royal Oak in Abbots Langley ~ and very talented he is too! and not yet 15.  A most enjoyable and relaxing way to spend an afternoon and a very respectable amount raised. 

Sunday:
Frankie's birthday. She came round with Lpip and Kpip (Dpip was at the new house 'supervising' ;) and we had a Cream Tea with cup-cakes.  Yumm!
In the evening I went to the annual Paschal Meal at church where we celebrate the Passover in the way Jesus would have done. We all bring something to share and I (not the best of cooks!) made a pasta salad which, surprisingly, drew compliments!!  Lovely evening ~ great company, good chat and a very nice meal!

Monday (yesterday):
Frankie phoned to say she was going to Ikea to get a mattress for Lpip and did I want to come.  I find it difficult not to find something I want at Ikea but had to stint somewhat as there wasn't a great deal of room with a mattress to carry.  All went well until we arrived at the check-out and Frankie realised she had lost her keys!  I nipped out to the car park to make sure no-one had found them and subsequently stolen the car while Fran and Kpip retraced our steps.  Fortunately they had been found and handed in but Fran had by then lost the bags of shopping too so all we did get in the end was the mattress.  Heigh ho!
In the evening it was Small Group at L&D's which was very nice.  Good company, a good discussion and cosy!

Back Soon

Po xx 


1 comment:

Kim in Oregon said...

Can you believe I've never been in an Ikea?? I must put it on the bucket list!