Saturday, April 14, 2018

Kong Harald and the Northern Lights ~ Part One


I would suppose that there is something very strange about a woman who has been to Norway and seen the Northern Lights within the last two months and yet who chooses to write instead about the incompetence of the gas people . . . 


your Profile Photo, Image may contain: outdoor
I didn't take this photo but I've had it for a while as my Facebook profile pic

So . . . my wonderful holiday aboard the MS Kong Harald cruising north (and then south) through islands off the coast of Norway . . .

My friend A and I took the 12 day 'we will give you a free trip if you don't see the Northern Lights' package although In fact we did see them on the first day out of Bergen.  Passengers were alerted over the tannoy and there was a huge rush back to cabins to tog up with warm clothes and then get up on deck!  I have to say that on that first sighting we were rather disappointed ('NO' from the crowd ~ I have been listening to Nillson's 'The Point'!) as we could see very little due to cloud cover and what we could see was somewhat static.  The colour, too, was a sort of dirty grey-green quite unlike the photos one sees.  Although I have to say that the chap standing next to me aimed his camera at them and they were certainly such as one would expect.   So I think the colours are enhanced through a lens.  

After three quarters of an hour on deck in the freezing cold we went back inside feeling a little bit cheated.  However . . . things got a whole lot better after that!!  We saw the lights several times and although they weren't as bright as the photos they were truly beautiful.  We never saw the emerald greens and reds but the paler greens and pinks whirled and swirled for us.  One time A and I were sitting right in the bows on the 'bar' deck and really did have a grandstand view but I think I preferred standing outside breathing in the freezing air, just watching the sky and then tingling as I came back into the warmth. 


Seeing the Northern Lights was not the only reason for the trip, however.  I prefer cold climes to warm and had always wanted to see Scandinavia and on this trip I certainly saw some great scenes.  Sailing between the islands and through the fjords was a delight and we went on a few 'expeditions' too: 


The Old Town Bridge in Trondheim


We called in at Trondheim which is a beautiful city where A and I roamed around while the ship was docked. This is the Old Bridge (known as the 'Portal of Happiness') in Trondheim.

Stunning, beautifully painted buildings by the river in Trondheim.


The houses all over Norway were painted in a range of muted colourways.  I loved seeing them clustered on the shores as we sailed past ~ like children's little toy villages.




Bed (reconstruction) in the Viking Museum
We signed up for a Viking Feast which was good fun and very tasty.  As part of the entertainment, one of the Viking women played on an instrument rather like a recorder but with a higher register; I was amazed at how similar the tune was to Scottish folk songs as played by the band Capercaille ~ you can hear the Scandinavian influence!  It was exciting being out under the clear Arctic night skies ~ no pollution such as we have here in Hertfordshire! ~ and crunching over the packed snow. 
More items in the Museum

After the feast we were able to take a look in the small museum.  The photo above is of a massive bed: about 7 feet across and made of stout timbers and the one to the side is of furs, masks and household implements.  



Husky (semi-detached!) Homes
This  photo was taken where I went on a Husky Sled.  The little houses are for the dogs who live two-by-two and side-by-side.  Beautiful dogs who then run twelve to a team.  I LOVED it!  It was totally thrilling to be zipping across the snow wrapped in furs and pulled by the team. Despite my snood, hood, mittens and all the rest of my gear I don't think I have ever been so cold and I thought my fingers were going to drop off.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.


Husky Puppy (bred at the centre)
After the ride we went into a small hut where we had hot coffee and the most delicious chocolate cake I have ever had.  We all sat round tables and I was with a group of Japanese people.  They spoke no English and I spoke no Japanese but we seemed to have lots to laugh about. One of the drivers brought some of the puppies in to see us.  My photo doesn't really do justice to this little one; she was very sweet.  



Wood burning  stove and counter for hot drinks and chocolate cake

The hut was toasty warm and quite delightfully rustic.  And smelled like Heaven!
A 'Santa' exterior 

As we left it was beginning to get dark.  It really looked far prettier than this but my camera skills are not great.  







I am ending here as I think this post is quite long enough ~ and I haven't even reached the North Cape yet!


Back soon with Part Two


Po x




1 comment:

Kim in Oregon said...

What a wonderful post and it sounds like an AMAZING trip! Did you meet any Saami?