Friday, May 24, 2019

Board games

Do you like board games?  And which ones do you play? 

Women's Group was a Ja's house on Wednesday evening.  I really enjoy the evenings when we are at Ja's as she always asks a question and it's interesting to hear everyone's answers.   And the board games were on the agenda this time.  

Lots of people named ones from our childhood: like 'snakes and ladders' and 'ludo' which were ones that our family played ~ although generally we played cards: rummy, Newmarket and sevens mainly.  But when I was ten and we had an afternoon of games at school to celebrate the end of the autumn term, someone brought in Monopoly ~ and I was hooked!



Later on (when we were adults) we used to hold Trivial Pursuit evenings with friends which was great fun ~ we laughed a lot and the wine flowed and altogether we had some very funny evenings indeed.  


There was one Christmas when 'The Game of Life' was all the go and one of the girls (they were both teenagers at this point) received it as a present.  It happened that that year Boogy's parents came for Christmas Day and we played one game.  One!!!
I almost lost the will to live!  It lasted about five hours ~ and it seemed like fifty five!  And I don't think we ever played it again.     


Stella and Rich introduced me to Carcassone which is another good one although I think I liked the very charming illustrations and playing pieces almost as much as I enjoyed the games.  




Another favourite ~ which I play with Stella, Rich, Kezia, J and Cl ~ is Codenames.  You play this in two teams, one against the other and I think it is my fave for the time being.  It's easier to play than to explain ~ not that it's complicated! ~ it's just that you need to see it!





And finally . . . the Exit Game.  Which is brilliant!  I tried to explain this game to friends but wasn't up to the job and made it sound very dull.  Which really it isn't!!  
So I won't even try to explain and I won't post an image because there are a variety of different scenarios (ha!).  I played with Stella, Kezia and Cl on Christmas Day and just loved it.  If you like puzzles and playing with a team then I think you would like this one.  


The EU Election 
I spent 16 hours yesterday at the polling station for the EU election.  I don't think anyone was very happy about having to hold this election it as we should by rights have left the EU by now and not need any MEPs.  The little team of three (including me) is very nice and despite everything (fairly low turnout) the day passed relatively quickly.  
Then back at the Town Hall this morning for verification of votes (just over two hours so not bad).  And back again on Sunday for the Count.  
The nice thing about the Town Hall stints is seeing people I used to work with and having a bit of a catch up.  And coffee with Da when it was all over was good too.  

Back soon

Po xx


1 comment:

Kim in Oregon said...

We just started playing Carcasonne out on the coast, and it is a fun game (and it lasts about as long as I can stand to play a game). WE also play bananagrams, which isn't a board game but fun as well.