Sunday, September 01, 2019

At home . . .

. . . and what I have been doing here . . . 

Many schools go back tomorrow or at some point next week.  So summer is ending and autumn is certainly on the horizon.  Stella, Kezia and Rpie came this afternoon and we sat in the garden under the pine tree shade and we could really feel a touch of chill in the air.  

Television:
About two years ago I bought a new TV and, although I had never been a keen watcher in the past, this TV is so much better than the previous one, the colours are so bright and clear that I have become quite a fan!

Recently I have been glued to Poldark.  Love Cornwall!  But, having read all but the twelfth and final volume, was rather disappointed in this fifth series.  Not that it isn't good ~ it is ~ but it follows a completely different plot line and with characters who never appeared in the books!  According to the BBC, this is the final series but (without giving anything away) the last scene left me thinking 'what happens now?'  So maybe it will be back . . .   
Near the end there was a wonderful tiny little exchange that mystified me just a bit ~ it was Ross talking to the Justice ~ and then the cast list came up . . . and all was clear ~ and it made me smile!  Watch it and see . . . 

The Handmaid's Tale has continued ~ series three.  I was gripped for the first series but it has tailed off somewhat ~ and I think there are just too many episodes per series for us Brits.   But I do like it and want to watch to the end. 

There were 13 episodes for Bleak House too but only half an hour each so it didn't drag quite so much.  Made in 2005 (I think) and I watched it on BBC i-player.   I've read it at least twice and seen other productions so knew the story. But enjoyable all the same.  

Other, more contemporary series have included Deep Water ~ good at the time although I can't now think what it was about.  And another one (forget name) which imagined a Britain 15 years from now and how we get there.  Disconcerting!

Documentaries have included: Serengeti (a year in the life of various animals who live there), The Day Mountbatten Died (Odilon took me to Mullaghmore when I visited her last December), The Queen's Lost Family (about the Queen's father and his brothers and sister ~ very interesting as I knew little of them other than George VI  and the Duke of Windsor of course), A Black and White Killing (fearful!) and various history programmes whose names I can't remember but were fascinating at the time.  

Tonight I shall look at Sanditon ~ first episode last week and . . . Jane Austen say no more!!  And if i can cope with more TV in one evening it will be Peaky Blinders ~ although I may just watch it another day on i-player.   

Jobs:
In what must have been the hottest week of the summer I decided I could procrastinate no longer and my garden fences must be painted.   It took quite a while; some days it rained, some days I had planned other things and some days it was just so hot that I could only work for a short while before needing a rest in the shade.  But eventually it was done.  And jolly relieved I was too!  


 Also shows my new table ~ which I had to get just to accommodate the growing number of Pips and Pies!  Need more chairs!

And today I decided to paint the old metal London Transport seat at the other end of the garden.  Just one coat so far but it took just the blink of an eye.  It took far longer to set up the jet washer to clean it! I would have painted another coat but Stella, Kezia and Rpie came by and I was only too happy to sit and drink coffee instead hahaha.



I can feel the getting-hungry rumbles so I'm off for 'eats' and I'll be back another day with Book News.

Po xx  



1 comment:

Kim in Oregon said...

I can't wait for Sanditon!

I love Bleak house--and the episodes were made to be an hour when they showed here. I also have watched, recently, Dickensian, which you might like too!