Friday, September 06, 2019

Frances White

Today I had a hygienist appointment and, while sitting in the chair, my thoughts turned to my lovely friend, Frances and her poem 'Appointment with Mrs Hardill' (Mrs Hardill was the family dentist).  

In truth my thoughts are never very far from Frances ~ she died last Christmas Eve: my best friend through school and far beyond and very much missed ~ I am always thinking of things to tell her before I remember I can't.  Frances had had Motor Neuron Disease for just over a year ~ a cruel disease ~ her life ended far too soon.  

Frances was a talented, and published poet and had launched her first solo book, Swiftscape, in October 2016. 
I was going to reproduce the cover, the 'about the author' and one of the poems on here.  But perhaps I had better not as it is copyright and needs permission from the publisher.  She can be found on the web, however, here: 

http://www.poetrypf.co.uk/franceswhitebiog.shtml

As well as a few biographical details, a few of Frances' poems are to be found there including one of my favourites: Llwynperdid Farm which describes teenage years' horse riding in South Wales on annual summer hols with her family.   




Frances and I met on our first day at secondary school and became fast friends almost immediately.  We were both high spirited and mischievous and forever in some form of trouble.  Our Chemistry teacher dubbed us 'a pair of bouncing molecules'!!


We continued in touch throughout the following 50 plus years, getting together, talking on the phone, putting the world to rights ~ but mostly laughing.   

Her poems are sensitive and very moving and prizes and accolades she won so very well deserved.  A second book of her poems will be published in early October.  I will be attending the launch.

Thank you for reading.

Back soon

Po xx


1 comment:

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, she sounds like an incredibly special friend. Off to read her poems now!