Wednesday, July 15, 2009

a funny thing happened at the party

(all the names have been changed to protect the innocent)
I had been invited to Peter's 60th Birthday Paty last Saturday at the W and F Club. Great! I loke parties and, as I told Sally, Peter's wife with whom I work, I had been there some years before to someone else's 50th.
I arrived at the venue at just after 8.15.
I did think it a little strange when I heard the music ~ Sally had told me that her son's Band would be playing and this was quite definitely disco music. Still, it was relatively early and maybe this was 'warm up' time.
I did thinkit was a little strange when I went in and found, instead of a signn for the G ... Room, as I had been directed, there was just a big sign which said 'Function Room'. Still, I supposed everyone must know that the G . . . Room is in fact the Function Room!
The bar was right there as I walked in and I did find it a little strange that no-one asked to see the ticket with which I had been issued with instructions to be sure I brought it or I wouldn't get in. Still I suppose I look quite a respectable middle aged law-abiding old soul ~ no threat there then!
I got myself a diet coke and wnet intot he main room past the table with a big sign saying 'Please put your cards and donation here'. Well that fitted! Peter had asked for no presents but donations to his favourite charity would be welcome. There were heaps of balloons and big '60' signs all over the place ~ so far so good!
I thought it a little strange that I didn't recognise a soul. But I don't really know Peter that well, don't know any of their friends and of their rather large family I had only so far met Sally's elderly parents. I did think that some of the work people would have arrived by then ~ but maybe they were all being 'fashionably late'.
I spotted a table where two nice ladies about my age were sitting and asked if I could join them as I didn't know anyone. then I asked them'Is this the W and F Club?'
'No' replied one fo them 'this is the V and Y Club' !!!
'Well whose birthday is it then?'
'Oh it's Wendy's' they rather helpfully informed me!
'Oh no! I'm supposed to be at Peter's'!!
'Well this isn't it' they said ~ although to be honest I had kind of worked that one out by myself by then!! LOL
At that moment a very nice, though possibly curious, lady approached the table wearing a big sash thing over her shoulder which announced '60th Birthday' ~ obviously Wendy! she was very nice and laughed and we had a little chat whilst I finished off my coke and then I said I had better go. To Wendy's credit she invited me to stay!! But I said I should go as I was sure I was expected else where.
When I did arrive at the V and F Club ~ after considerable problems actually finding it! ~ I had a great evening. Peter and Sally, and indeed everyone, enjoyed themselves tremendously: we ate, drank and were very merry indeed. Hoorah for birthdays ~ we should have them every year!

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I am so laughing at this!
So, did you pick up your card and your donation, or did you leave it there?

Friko said...

Rosy, you idiot!

I am allowed to say that, because I've done it too.