Sunday, July 12, 2009

High Street Trail

G spotted an advert for the Trail in the local paper recently and since I have been meaning to go for ages, we went yesterday.
I have done a little family history research and was fascinated to discover that G's father's family have lived in Watford since at least 1685 when the town was really just one long street with farms and meadows surrounding it.
Sarah from the Museum was our guide and, despite having been born and lived in the area for most of our lives, both G and I learnt some very interesting new facts.
My photos are, sadly, never as good as I think they are going to be . . . but here is a selection of places of interest:


Having a 'clean' river running through it, Watford was until quite recently a brewing town ~ and had innumerable pubs. This is one of the two which claim to be the oldest. I love the look of this building ~ never been inside though!






The High street is a mile long and St Mary's. the parish church is just about in the middle ~ mediaeval but flint-faced more recently, it is one of the two Grade 1 listed buildings in the town.







The Free School, founded 1704 and the fore-runner of both Watford's Grammar Schools. I used to do my ballet exams here.











Part of the graveyard and the Almshouses ~ again very old and in a fairly quiet backwater near the Free School.











The 'Compasses' window. Apparently, Shakespeare passed through Watford on his way to London. I bet he stopped for a stoup of ale here!








This is Monmouth House built for Sir Robert Carey. He was the chappie who, on the death of Elizabeth I, rode to tell James VI of Scotland that he was now King James I of England as well. In thanks James gave him the title of Earl of Monmouth. It's a beautiful old building ~ shame about all the modern shop fronts!
There is a little sign which you have to look quite hard to see which is the fire-sign mark. This meant that in the event of a fire breaking out the fire service would come and put it out.





This is the sign.



We ended at the pond ~ a walk of about a mile, taking just on two hours ~ and excellent value!!

2 comments:

Friko said...

Watford? Heavens, I always used to think of it as a
soulless modern no-where place. I lived in Herts for six years and never once visited. how wrong can you be.

rosy said...

Where did you live in Hertfordshire? I think it's a lovely county (but then I am biased!).
Watford is a town that is constantly changing which is quite sad! When I was a child in Infant School I had to walk down Market Street to go home and in those days there was still a cattle market behind the shops. And my dad (G) remembers when the market was all along the High Street including pens for all the cows and sheep!
Now Watford Seems to be chiefly famous for its 'Night Life' ~ nasty bars ~ and the 'Harlequin' shopping centre ~ bright lights and noise! Oh for the quiet of a sleepy country village!