Thursday, July 16, 2009

i went to the globe!

yay! I have been intending to go ever since it opened ~ the present one I mean! not the original!
Went into work Tuesday morning and then up to London by tube from Watford Met early afternoon. I got off at Westminster and wandered along by the Embankment in glorious sunshine. I love London!
I walked as far as the Millennium Bridge and then crossed to the Tate Modern where I spent a happy hour in the Poetry and Dreams section ~ superbly surreal! This is from the Tate side of the bridge looking back at St Paul's:















And this is the Tate Modern from the north side of the Thames ~ with a bit of the Millennium Bridge 'thrown in'.






I spotted this little old church wiith a mediaeval look to it while going over the bridge ~ I don't know what it is called ~ but I love the fact that it is just THERE surrounded by all those modern buildings













And how typically 'London' is this? A red bus passing in front of Tower Bridge!

The Globe 'evening' was WONDERFUL!! I had paid to go to the pre-show 'setting the scene' talk and that was good . . . because it did! The play was 'Troilus and Cressida' ~ very well played though I'm glad I had read a synopsis beforehand or I'm not sure I would have followed it! It wasn't a bundle of laughs to be honest but the whole experience was extremely enjoyable none the less. You really did get the flavour of how people in Shakespeare's time would have experienced going to a play. Though I'm happy that I had decided on an undercover seat ~ not one of the 700 'standing tickets' out in the rain which fell intermittently all evening!
In all it was a great afternoon and evening and I would recommend the whole experience most heartily! Here is a shot of the Globe seen through the trees from the Millennium bridge:

Answers:
Kim! Fortunately when I bought my coke the girl gave me a can and also a glass so I had both hands full and did't get my 'offering' out of my bag. Otherwise the story would have been worse (or funnier!) with me scrabbling about trying to retrieve the card and donation!
Friko! Well I'm glad someone is as daft as I am!! LOL

No comments: