so much has happened that it is difficult to know where to start . . .
Book Club at Anne Wo's house where we talked about Pat Barker's 'Toby'sRoom'. This was another WW1 tale which is a period of history I find very interesting (early input from G!). This book was beautifully written with powerful imagery although I found parts of it uncomfortable reading. We had read 'My dear I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young very recently which covered much of the same ground: some of the characters suffered facial injury and were treated at the Queen's Hospital in Sidcup and the surgeon Gillies featured in both stories. On the whole I preferred the Louisa Young as I disliked most of the characters in the Pat Barker and Toby was downright unpleasant. If you would like to know about facial reconstruction during and after the First World War, then 'My dear I wanted to tell you' would be a splendid choice but if you can't get hold of it 'Toby's Room' is a good alternative.
G went into Care Home G almost two weeks ago and decided he would like to stay ~ good news! Unfortunately, however, he became ill last Friday and was admitted to hospital. Discharge came today and I collected him and took him back to the Care Home. I so hope he settles in again.
Lpip was in a ballet show. In fact it was a celebration of 90 years of Chorleywood Memorial Hall in which all the groups who use the hall took part. I went to watch it with Frankie and Dpip. Dpip was lovely! His little friend A was there too as her sister was also performing. The two littles sat together and chatted and watched the show and were very good (even in the one bit that really was exceptionally boring!). Lpip was in the toy shop dance and she made a perfect little Native American Indian! We only stayed for the first half as it was quite late for the small children by then so we went home and had nice warm mug of tea.
Quiz Night at the Colosseum on Monday night ~ Cat and David had invited me on to their table. It was quite the largest quiz I have ever been too ~ 48 tables with 10 on most tables. We acquitted ourselves well coming 5th! Hoorah for us!!
I have taken yesterday, today and tomorrow as leave since I have to use it all by end of March. Stella and the Pies came yesterday for lunch and then Stella took Kpie and Cpie to their violin lessons and J and I visited G in hospital. We went home and while we waited for Stella and the girls to come back I taught J to play rummy ~ and he beat me 6 games to 2! He is obviously a chip off several male relatives' blocks!
I am having trouble with my computer ~ well more trouble with the anti-virussy thingy really. I can't access loads of stuff I used to be able to and I can't comment on blogs ~ all of which is a darned nuisance and is more than likely something that a reasonably computer literate bod could sort in a jiffy ~ but sadly, not me!
Back soon
Po xx
1 comment:
Glad to hear that G is on the mend and hope it goes well at the new place.
Post a Comment