It's ten past eight and I'm just in from the Eighth Thursday Clapping-on-your-Doorstep session. Hard to believe we have been in Lock-down for over seven weeks already.
I don't know who thought up the clapping idea but it's certainly a good'un. Clearly the medical staff deserve our appreciation and keeping them in our thoughts can only be a good reminder of what they are doing and the support we need to show.
But in addition it is a lovely way for communities to 'come together' albeit socially distant. I love that in our road neighbours come out clapping, banging saucepans, blowing horns, shouting, cheering and ~ on a couple of occasions ~ singing 'Happy Birthday' to those who would otherwise be celebrating rather more festively.
Soon after lock-down began, a neighbour from the 'northend' started a Whats App group mainly so that we could ask for help and support if needed. Most of us joined up and it has become one of the joys (there are a few!) of this trying time. Everyone has been very kind and friendly with funny messages and photos going back and forth and, on VE Day, we had a grand 'Stay at Home Street Party' where we decorated our homes and sat in our own front gardens eating scones and drinking tea (and probably something stronger!) and chatting and laughing at an acceptable distance. I loved it and despite having lived here for 27 years 'met' a number of people whom I hadn't known before.
I'm not really finding this time too difficult as I rather enjoy the peace and quiet and a chance to 'catch-up'. The news, however, is very worrying for all sorts of reasons and naturally I am concerned for those who have the virus. The situation regarding schools is dire ~ children going back to school will inevitably result in a spike in cases of Covid-19 ~ I heard today that a classroom assistant (who had been in her school in order to look after the children of key workers) has died ~ not surprising when one considers the duties associated with very little children.
A grim note on which to end, perhaps. But these are grim times.
Stay Safe and Take Care
Po xx
2 comments:
We are staying at our 'new' house on the beach (about two hours from our 'regular' house) because all my teaching is online and Tim works from home. We have enjoyed the opportunity to get to know our neighbors here, who are always offering to help or pick up something from the store so everyone doesn't always have to go to the store. We get together every few weeks for a 'driveway happy hour' where everyone brings a drink and a chair and we sit in a driveway and chat.
I'm so pleased all seems well with you and Tim and the animals. I know the situation is worrying but you are in a beautiful place and it's great that you are getting to know the neighbours. Tough times often bring out the best in people don't they? Stay Safe Take Care and Enjoy your beautiful surroundings.
Post a Comment