I spent time in the garden today ~ gardening ~ which I am really not very keen on! My garden is always very green. That's it! Green! I'm not sure whether I buy the wrong plants, or I don't plant them properly or I don't talk to them sufficiently. But I never seem capable of growing flowers in my garden.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lupins grow in their bed, the geranium in its pot and the night scented stocks and the nasturtium seeds thrive. I'll keep you posted!
I am, however, happier about the south side of the garden. It was always a mess: an old chain link fence which I hadn't the strength to pull out and large trees almost all with ivy thicker than most people's legs entwined around them.
The triangle of land at the back of my garden doesn't appear to belong to anyone (it's not mine ~ I checked) and has always been a dumping ground (not by me I hasten to add!) for weeds, tree branches and various other sorts of debris ~ fortunately mostly biodegradable ~ but unsightly nonetheless.
Late last autumn I had Ricky, a very helpful neighbour, come round, get rid of all the weeds and uproot the trees. It was a huge job ~ and the bonfire we had was legendary!
Then a new fence went up.
I was delighted.
I painted it earlier this year and I'm pleased with that too.
But the thing I am most happy about is this . . . from my side of the fence I can imagine I'm living on the edge of a wood. I'm not of course. And I can't go in there. But it really is a far more pleasant prospect than the one I had before.
You can just see the top of the fence in this photo and I plan to have shrubs ~ ones that like shade and clay soil. Research required!
And now time to relax . . . current book is 'The Legacy of Mr Jarvis' by Jude Hayland. I'm enjoying it and it is the one that Book Club will be discussing on Zoom on Wednesday evening. I'll post the general feeling from the group after our 'meeting'.
Stay Safe
Po xx


2 comments:
I'm not good at gardening either. I did plant bulbs at our new house which came up beautifully!
Me again! The name of the book is "Kensington Palace: An Intimate Memoir from Queen Mary to Meghan Markle (Biteback Publishing)" but there is nothing really in it about the current royals. It stops mostly at Princess Margaret. And is mostly Queen Victoria. The author is Tom Quinn.
I'd love to send you some star necklaces!!! Send me your address. They weigh nothing and I can probably get them in a regular envelope (am happy to send more than 1!).
Email me at kbshee AT comcast DOT net and let me know favorite colors and how many you want!!
Post a Comment